How do I Fix a Missing Bgl Compiler for FSX? (1.65)
You have probably reached this article because of the message shown below and Clicked OK. If you are just browsing the help files then you probably don't need this article which deals with a specific problem that can arise for ADE working with FSX. It does not apply to FS9 or P3D.
What went wrong?
ADe is looking for the Bgl Compiler that is used to create airports and scenery from your work. This is found in the FSX Software Development Kit (SDK) It has looked in the settings file you created and in the registry for this file and has not been able to find it. Until this problem is corrected you will not be able to compile your work. There are a number of possible reasons for not finding the SDK
- You do not have a version of FSX with the SDK. The FSX SDK is not available with the Standard Edition of FSX. you need the deluxe or Gold edition. If you have the standard edition then you cannot use ADE. The SDK is not free and not available for download. If you want to use ADE ( and a number of other tools for FSX) then you would need to purchase one of the other editions
- The SDK is not installed.
- The SDK is installed but ADE can't find it. This is usually because there is a problem with the registry. When installed the SDK makes a registry entry to tell other programs like ADE where to find it. If this entry is missing or hold bad information then ADE won't find it.
Installing the SDK
Installing the SDK is outside the scope of this article. However you will need to find the folder for the SDK on one of the DVDs for FSX. We do recommend that you install the SDK in the default folder. This is different than FSX which should not be installed in the default folder.
Once you have installed the SDK then run ADE again and it should find the compiler and the message above will be gone.
ADE can't find the SDK
If you are sure that you have installed the SDK and you can find it on your computer then it is likely that there is some issue with the registry
Try to auto find the folder
Find it manually
If the auto find button did not do the trick then you have the option to try and set the path yourself
- In the Options dialog select the small button next to the BglComp Folder Path
- Use the folder navigator to navigate to the actual location of the SDK that you noted above. When you find the SDK it should be in the path ..\Environment Kit\Bgl Compiler SDK
- If you have to manually set the path to the Bgl Compiler then you will also need to do it for the Shp2Vec compiler. This is the compiler we need to compile the terrain parts of the airport. When you find the SDK this should be in the path ..\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK
Whether you use the auto find or the manual find remember to click the Save Button. Close ADE and start it again. Hopefully you won't see the error message again and the compiler will be found.
The final option
If all else fails then please ask us for more help on the ADE support forum.