How do I Connect ADE to the Flight Simulator?
There are a lot of times where it is a good idea to have ADE connected to the Flight Simulator. ADE will show the position of the user aircraft and there are a number of functions that can use the position of the user aircraft in FS
Before you Start
ADE uses FSUIPC and the appropriate version needs to be installed before you can connect. FSUIPC is used by a lot of addons so you may have it already installed. To check
- Start your simulator and load an airport.
- Check the Menu Bar for Add-ons and see if FSUIPC is there. If it is then you are good to go. If not then you need to install it
- Go to http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html which is the official site for Pete Dowson's tools
- Select the correct version for your sim. The download for FS9 is further down the page
- Make sure your Sim is not running and follow the instructions in the download package to install FSUIPC - you do not need a license, the free version is all that is needed
- Run your simulator again and check that you do have FSUIPC under the Add-ons menu
Start ADE and load your airport. This is KHUT.
Start the Simulator
- If you are not in Slew Mode (SLEW will flash in the lower right corner) then press the Y key
- The red cross shows that the location of the user aircraft
If you Can't Connect
Connection is usually reliable but if you get an error message then first check again whether FSUIPC is actually installed. Second the sim must be running - if it is not then ADE won't be able to find it
Finally make sure that the version that you have ADE started for is the same one that you are running.
Locking ADE and the Sim
When you first start the connection it will be unlocked. That means that the ADE display will always remain where you set it and the user aircraft symbol will move across the display as the user aircraft is slewed in the simulator. Sometimes though it is useful to have the aircraft symbol always centered in the ADE display and the display to move as the user aircraft is slewed in the sim. Click the Lock button to change the behavior to this. Click the Lock button again to unlock and return to the default connection method.
You should now be connected to the simulator and there are a number of things that you can do in moving things or setting locations. Look out for future articles on the functions available when ADE is connected to the Simulator